It has taken me several days to write the last part of “The Mechanical Man”. I kind of struggled. Wrote about 450 words, like I was dragging Winnie the Pooh out from his home after he had eaten too much honey.
I knew something was wrong, but what?
Yesterday morning, finally, while eating breakfast I pondered what and why and how, and there it came! I had not awaited my inner spirit but instead tried to write from my head only. Now, I got the hints I needed, the smile finally reached me and I began writing.
The result wasn’t particularly good. The voice inside me then reminded me of a couple of things I had forgotten. Kept on writing – and ended up with 1766 words.
Satisfying, but still not good enough. Too clumsy. Brain-tired though – and I had other tasks to perform in the afternoon anyway – so no more writing yesterday.
Today! What should I do with the text? Nothing wrong – per se. But still! Something was wrong! At lunch, it finally began to loosen up. I moved the entire first paragraph, which was rather long, to a totally different place. Scrambled it, and deleted a couple of sentences.
That made a HUGE difference!
Then the normal editing routine. Deleting unnecessary words. Killing a couple of darlings. Actually adding a couple of words here and there. Deleting more unnecessary words. You know…
The odd thing was, when finished had this editing I still had 1710 words! Must have added more than I thought I did. But now I felt satisfied without a lot of doubts.
Later on, of course, I have to more thoroughly go through all parts as a whole story. But before I begin that desk work, I have a lot of other writings to do.